You may be here because of the headline—wanting to know if SEO is truly important for every business. Is SEO important for your business? The short answer is a definite yes!
SEO: Search Engine Optimisation
Some people feel rather intimidated when it comes to the term SEO. SEO just stands for Search Engine Optimisation. This is a process or strategy used on a website to help search engines find your site and its web pages. That’s it!
Why is SEO Important for My Business?
Of course, SEO isn’t that simple, but the basic idea is to get search engines to find your site, and then index your site’s pages into the search engine. On the search engine, people looking for specific information use search terms, or keywords, to find sites that have the information they need. For instance, people will use a specific keyword or phrase that is specific to the type of business you run. People then find your site only if you’ve used SEO best practices. This is how you gain traffic to your site—all through the use of SEO.
The better your SEO practices and process, the better your site content, the higher your website will rank in the search engine. This gains you even more traffic. On the other hand, if your SEO hasn’t been done well or consistently, then your site will rank lower, and traffic may eventually die off. All because of SEO.
SEO is important for every business that has a website—no matter the sise of the business or the lack of industry competitors. If you want people to learn about your company, and what it has to offer, then you’ll have to use SEO to gain traffic to your site.
SEO Similar to a Library Index
It’s very difficult, in fact, almost impossible to find a website if it doesn’t use SEO. Here’s an analogy that might help. Think of a library full of books. How can you find the book you want, unless it’s been indexed? If a book isn’t indexed, then no one may even realise it exists! Yet it’s stored in the same library with thousands of other books.
No one can find this specific book. However, if the book has been properly indexed either in a computer system or in the old-fashioned card index, then it’s possible to find the book. You just need some information such as the author’s name, book title, book topic, etc. Then you can the book. Otherwise, you’ll never be able to find it.
SEO Uses Highly Focused Keywords, Phrases and Terms
This is what SEO does for your website on the Internet. SEO uses specific keywords, terms or phrases that help people to find your site and your business. Even more, SEO also helps spread your business’s branding across the net. Wherever your brand is found, people will recognise it from your company’s logo, motto, business name, etc.
When doing SEO for your site, you’re basically looking for keywords, terms and phrases that people would type into a search engine. These keywords, etc. need to be highly focused to help people find your site in a matter of seconds. Most people need information quickly, so they will review the first few results at the top of the search results. If your company doesn’t show up there, good luck with getting traffic to your site.
What You Gain with SEO
SEO is a cost-effective way to get the word out about your business and website. Using SEO best practices will gain you:
- More traffic: the higher your website ranks in the search engine for specific keywords, the more traffic your site will get. If your site ranks either #1 (or at least on the first page) for a keyword, the clickthrough rate is much higher, than if you turn up on the 6th page of search results.
- High quality traffic: with proper SEO, your site will not only gain more traffic, but the quality of that traffic will be higher. With the right SEO strategy, you’ll be able to attract the customers you want—customers who need/want the product and/or services you provide. This means you’ll need to understand who your target audience is and the keywords/phrases they would use to find your product or services. Once you have this figured out, you’ll bring highly-targeted traffic to your site.
- Better visibility: using more keywords helps bring traffic to your site, especially the higher the keywords rank in the search. The more often you turn up in the search results, the more people will begin to remember your brand and business.
- Credibility and trust: the Internet is filled with millions of sites—some legitimate, others not so much. When your site comes out at the top of the search—especially on page 1 of search results—searchers feel that your site has more credibility and as a result, they’ll trust your site more. People feel that sites on the first page or the top of the first page of search results are the best and more trustworthy.
- Provide a better user experience: with the right SEO strategy, you’ll also be able to provide users with a better experience on your site. When customers reach a site, they want to be able to find the information right away and have it provided in an easy to use format. If they don’t find the site easy to navigate and can’t find the information they need, site users will quickly move on to another site. If your site has a problem with a high bounce rate, the problem could be SEO and/or that users can’t find what they’re looking for.
Is SEO Still Important Years Down the Line?
In a few years, you may find that your business is going strong to the SEO strategy that was implemented in the beginning. However, if you don’t stay up to date with SEO strategies, you could soon find your business lacking or failing.
SEO strategies are always evolving. Sure, the bedrock of your SEO may be great for many years; however, there eventually comes a time when search engines, such as Google, decide certain SEO practices are no longer worthwhile and urge businesses to change to the newer SEO best practices. In order to take advantage of new strategies, you’ll have to stay on top of the current and upcoming SEO best strategies. That is, if your want to retain your successful business.
Another thing to keep in mind is that search engines also look for new content. If you fail to update your site or add new content, you may still lose traffic, even with the best SEO strategy. You won’t gain backlinks, new customers, etc. without adding new content and updating your website on a regular basis.
So, the simple answer to our question—is SEO important for every business—is a resounding Yes! SEO strategy and implementation can be a very in-depth topic. If you’re not sure how to go about improving your site’s SEO, then it may be a good idea to hire a professional SEO company to help you.
Liam is a website designer and digital marketer based in Leeds, West Yorkshire. He spent a decade working within the charity sector before moving into the marketing space a number of years ago. Liam always strives to do something slightly different with every project and always designs to deliver results, not just pretty websites.